Things for kids & families to watch!
Sphinx Organization’s Honors Concert 2020
- The Sphinx Competition is a national competition offering young Black and Latinx classical string players a chance to compete under the guidance of an internationally renowned panel of judges, and to perform with and receive mentorship from established professional musicians. The Sphinx Competition is held every year in Detroit, Michigan. Three AFO Musicians have competed and placed in the competitions over the years, including Brendon Elliot, violin; Michael Casimir, Viola; and Dana Kelly, Viola. CLICK HERE to watch the Honors Concert of the 23rd Annual Sphinx Competition junior division recorded Feb 7, 2020.
A reading of an Eric Carle classic
- Mermaid Theater of Nova Scotia has captivated more than 6.5 million spectators from around the world. Enjoy this special book reading of Eric Carle's, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia. LISTEN TO THE READING HERE.
Online lessons and activities for families & educators
- Kennedy Center teaching artists present a library of arts-focused online lessons and activities for families and educators. The lessons and activities in the library provide introductory steps that get young people (and the young at heart) interested in arts learning. LEARN MORE HERE.
Kennedy Center NSO Young People's Concert celebrate JFK's vision and courage
- The National Symphony Orchestra's Young People's Concerts are full orchestra concerts for school groups, grades 3-8. Each season these performance / demonstrations introduce students to the instruments and musicians of the orchestra, as well as musical concepts and curated selections from the orchestral repertoire that connect to educational themes. The Kennedy Center presented a special complete broadcast of the NSO's 2016-2017 season's Young People's Concert, Reach for the Moon!
- The concert was conducted by Michael Butterman, and hosted by NSO violinist Marissa Regni. During the broadcast, the NSO performed:
- English composer Gustav Holst’s tribute to the red planet
- American composer Mason Bates’s re-imagining of an astronaut’s spacewalk
- Music by two of the world’s greatest composers - Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven
- John Ireland’s stirring march written for the British people during World War II
- John Williams’s famous film score that captures an epic, intergalactic clash between good and evil.
- Most importantly, you will learn about President John F. Kennedy’s vision and courage to make an impossible mission - possible. WATCH IT HERE.
Musical episodes from the New York Philharmonic
- Fun musical episodes for the whole family. Host Rebecca Young and Philharmonic musicians introduce their instruments and the building blocks of music through games, silly songs and activities that get your body moving and creativity flowing! WATCH HERE.
New York Philharmonic Young Peoples Concert featuring Dvořák’s New World Symphony
- Check out the New York Philharmonic Young Peoples' Concert: Antonín Dvořák’s New World Symphony: In Search of an American Voice. WATCH HERE.
Sesame Street & CNN's new town hall for kids
- CNN and Sesame Street join once again this Saturday for a new Town Hall to help kids and families discuss racism and the protests taking place nationwide, build empathy and embrace diversity. The hour-long special, Coming Together: Standing Up to Racism, will be hosted by CNN commentator Van Jones and CNN anchor Erica Hill, along with Sesame Street’s Big Bird, on Saturday, June 6 at 10 a.m. ET on CNN, CNN International and CNN en Español. LEARN MORE HERE.
Daily concerts with Justin Roberts
- Grammy®-nominated children’s musician Justin Roberts is holding daily Facebook Live concerts for his fans, taking requests, and sharing his fans’ artwork.
Virtual expiditions with the Okee Dokee Brothers
- Hunker down and gather 'round with the Grammy Award-winning Okee Dokee Brothers. It's a perfect time for a virtual expedition, and these beautiful 40-minute adventure films are a great way to help cure the cabin fever. Extend the experience with the activities in the Study Guide.
The Cleveland Orchestra's Mindful Music Moments playlist
- Across Northeast Ohio, 20,000+ students in 54 schools start each day with calm and focus with Mindful Music Moments — featuring recordings of The Cleveland Orchestra. Enjoy a moment of learning and meditation with the orchestra - two of the members are alumni of the Artosphere Festival Orchestra: Assistant Concertmaster, Steven Tavani (AFO 2018) and Assistant Principal Trombone Shachar Israel (AFO 2013). CLICK HERE TO WATCH & RELAX.
Sing along with and get to know Sonia De Los Santos
- Join Latin Grammy nominee Sonia De Los Santos from home with En Casa con Sonia! Sing along to her beloved songs, learn about the stories that inspire her music, and get to know the work of some of her favorite artists.
An into to classical music from Sesame Street
- Sesame Street's "People in Your Neighborhood" introduces a Conductor, featuring New York Philharmonic Conductor Emeritus Alan Gilbert. Cellist Avery Waite, who plays in the Artosphere Festival Orchestra, plays in the video. WATCH HERE.
Like our Learning & Engagement FaceBook page to stay up to date!