CWRU Department of Dance premieres new work
- Case Western Reserve University's Department of Dance premiered a new work by faculty member Gary Galbraith on November 1, 2020. “Spaces and Places” is a video dance project that takes viewers outside the “boxes of dancers” often seen in virtual projects since last March. WATCH IT HERE!
- Galbraith, who continues to chart new territories in dance, collaborated with 14 dancers —both undergraduate and graduate—located around the world (Cleveland, Ghana, and China), for a work that is fully outdoors. Placing the Cleveland dancers in small groups at selected sculptures on the CWRU campus, spherical video technology allows the viewer to see the movement from different angles. Videos of the dancers in Ghana, who are dancing along pathways and inside groves of trees, along with dancers on blocks of stone along the ocean and in a field in China, are artfully aligned with the videos taken in Cleveland. ‘Spaces and Places’ explores unexpected ways of seeing dance.
Highlights of the acclaimed new piece from AXIS Dance Company
- Founded in 1987, AXIS Dance Company is the nation’s most acclaimed ensemble of disabled and non-disabled performers. Based in Oakland, CA, and led by internationally renowned Artistic Director Marc Brew, AXIS creates virtuosic productions that challenge perceptions and redefine dance and disability. Their work titled Petrichor offers snapshots of intimate connections and pushes the dancers of AXIS to face how gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow. VIEW HIGHLIGHTS OF PETRICHOR HERE.
Performances from dancer-illusionist company MOMIX
- Celebrate 40 years of MOMIX with a collection of videos HERE ON THEIR YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
A new concert from the RA-VE Cultural Foundation
- The RA-VE Cultural Foundation, a nonprofit focused on bringing Indian dance and music to NWA, was featured in our HeARTs to Homes broadcasts. They've teamed up with professional artists in India to produce Black & White, a contemporary Carnatic music concert. LEARN MORE & WATCH HERE.
Dance Theatre of Harlem’s "High Above" with India Arie
- This 2017 video from Dance Theatre of Harlem, featuring music by India Arie, demonstrates the power of art. It's a reminder that young people, who see themselves reflected on stage, can better connect to the art. WATCH IT HERE.
Ballet from The Joffrey
- The Joffrey is a world-class, Chicago-based ballet company and dance education organization committed to artistic excellence and innovation, presenting a unique repertoire encompassing masterpieces of the past and cutting-edge works. The Joffrey is committed to providing arts education and accessible dance training through its Joffrey Academy of Dance and Community Engagement programs. In 2005, Walton Arts Center presented The Joffrey's Nutcracker - SEE MORE OF THEIR WORK ON YOUTUBE and LEARN MORE ABOUT THE COMPANY HERE.
Family dance opportunities from Jacob’s Pillow
- Experience the fun and joy of creating simple dances from the comfort of your home in this FREE inter-generational movement class, held on Fridays, July 10-Aug. 28, 2-3pm (CST). Designed for movers of all ages to enjoy together, from kids to adults. We invite you to get your whole household moving! Registration required. LEARN MORE HERE.
World premiere from the Martha Graham Dance Company
- Inspired by Martha Graham’s lost solo from 1937, this reimagined version will feature fourteen dancers and include new music composed by Wild Up’s Christopher Rountree. The world premiere of Immediate Tragedy, was performed Friday, June 19, and the piece is now available for viewing again on the Martha Graham Dance Company YouTube channel. WATCH IT HERE.
Interview with choreographer Alonzo King
- Check out The New York Times interview with choreographer Alonzo King, who through a series of videos, is encouraging performers to play with the natural world. READ IT HERE.
Works & Process program at the Guggenheim
- This YouTube playlist features a series of new virtual commissions created at home by leading artists who have participated in past Works & Process programs. WATCH HERE.
Swans for Relief performed by Misty Copeland and more
- Misty Copeland and 31 dancers from around the world join together in a beautiful virtual performance to help raise money which will be distributed to the relief funds of the participating dancers' companies. WATCH SWANS FOR RELIEF HERE and read more in THIS ARTICLE FROM POPSUGAR.
Live workshops presented by NWA Ballet Theatre
- NWA Ballet Theatre presents many live workshops each week to explore movement, conversation, cooking, and even crafts! The company dancers are showcasing skills they employ off stage in their new Virtual Studio. CHECK OUT THEIR VIRTUAL STUDIO HERE.
Learn from home with Ballet Arkansas
- In 2018, Walton Arts Center's 10x10 Series hosted Ballet Arkansas's Emergence, featuring the regional hit Under the Lights by Chris Stuart, the timeless Valse Fantaisie by George Balanchine, and a world premiere by 2017 Winter Visions winner Mariana Oliveira. Now, you can learn from home with Ballet Arkansas as they offer an array of virtual classes in all levels designed to teach you segments of choreography and repertory! You can also enjoy conversations with Ballet Arkansas dancers and artistic staff. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE.
Dorrance Dance honors International Tap Dance Day
- Dorrance Dance performed at Walton Arts Center as part of our Night Out Series in February of 2019. Take a moment to watch the compilation they put together to honor International Tap Dance Day on May 25. WATCH IT HERE.
Enjoy Alvin Ailey performances, classes and other FREE content
- “Ailey for All” offers videos of full length performances. Clips made by dancers at home will be included in a series called #TheShowMustGoOn. You can also join the Ailey dancers for conversations on Instagram Live every Wednesday and Saturday at 12pm. Learning guides for all ages are also available.
Repertoire from Koresh Dance Company
- This year Koresh Dance Company is celebrating their 30th anniversary. Every weekend, they are sharing a full-length work from their 3-year repertoire ON THEIR WEBSITE as well as on Facebook. Virtual dance classes are also available - CHECK THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE for more information.
Ballet from Paris National Opera
- In this downtime of the performances at the Paris National Opera, members from the institution's three artistic bodies, the Orchestra, the Choirs and the Ballet wanted to thank in their own way all those who are today on the front line in the fight against the pandemic. These spontaneous initiatives are the fruit of their desire to express their deep gratitude and support to all those who work with dedication and courage to protect us. WATCH THE BALLET HERE.
American Ballet Theatre's compilation video
- This spring marks the 20th anniversary of American Ballet Theatre's beloved production of Swan Lake by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie and also the 80th anniversary of American Ballet Theatre — America’s National Ballet Company®️. Due to the pandemic, they cannot celebrate these milestones at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City and their flock of swans is now socially-distanced. Even so, at ABT, the dancers fly as one in THIS COMPILATION VIDEO!