VoiceJam Dates for Competitors
- Dec. 1-Jan. 30: Submit your audition video!
- Feb. 3: Groups selected for competition are announced
- April 2: VoiceJam Kick Off Concert
- April 3: The Real Group Concert and Competitor Masterclasses
- April 4: Festival Workshops and Competition
Festival Information and Criteria for Competition
How many competitors will be accepted?
- Up to 8 groups will be selected as finalists for the live competition, April 4, 2020.
How many singers can be in your group?
- Groups should consist of a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 20 singers.
Who is qualified to audition for the competition?
- Groups consisting of 3-20 singers are invited to submit audition videos.
- There is no age restriction. We welcome everyone to participate!
Will the competition be timed?
- Yes. Each group will have 10 minutes to perform one set each.
How will the competition be judged?
- Judges will consider pitch, blend, overall entertainment value and level of difficulty. Each of these categories will be scored 1-10
- The judging panel will include a cappella experts and professional musicians … Names will be announced in Jan. to Feb.
- Each group may receive their score sheets for feedback after the competition
Walton Arts Center will announce finalists on Feb. 3, 2020, allowing 8 weeks to prepare competition performances and arrange travel. The competition takes place on April 4, 2020 at Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville, AR.
Each group must confirm their commitment to compete by purchasing discounted festival passes for each member:
- All groups that submit to compete have access to discounted festival passes
All participating groups are responsible for their own travel and accommodations in Northwest Arkansas. Hotel discounts and packages are available.
Audition Process and Deadline
1. Submit your audition application and video Dec. 1, 2019 – Jan. 30, 2020.
2. A selection committee will review submissions and narrow down to a field of finalists. Auditions can be footage of rehearsals, concerts, singing in the street or in your mother’s living room! We just need to be able to see and HEAR your group’s a cappella awesomeness within a maximum time of 5 minutes. Take advantage of the allotted time to introduce your group, tell us where you’re from and what makes you stand out from the crowd. Keep in mind submissions must be voices only. All styles of a cappella will be considered.
- Maximum video length: 5 minutes.
- Good sound quality is required: the selection committee must be able to hear clearly.
- At least 50% of the singers in the audtion video must be current members. Previous years’ concert footage can be used, as long as half of the singers intend to compete at VoiceJam 2020.
- Have questions? Email VoiceJam@waltonartscenter.org
4. Now that your video is ready, what next?
- Complete the audition application (online form) and hit Submit!
Format your YouTube video submission like this:
- Title video auditions:
- “VoiceJam 2020 Competition [YOUR GROUP NAME HERE]”
- In the video info section, enter your group name and title/arranger for each song performed
- Whether your video is posted publicly or privately, please make sure we are able to view the link!
- Deadline for audition: 11:59pm, Jan. 30, 2020
5. When will we know if we made it?
- The groups selected to compete will be announced on Feb. 3, 2020 via the VoiceJam website, Facebook page and direct email.
- Each group selected to compete will receive a masterclass with an a cappella professional on Friday, April 3, 2020 from 11am-7pm.