Walton Arts Center Launches Mosaix Festival with Special Bharatanatyam Dance Workshop
NORTHWEST ARKANSAS, January 15, 2020 ―Walton Arts Center’s Mosaix Festival in April will explore the rich culture of India, one of the many cultural tiles that make Northwest Arkansas unique and diverse. In addition to seeing world-class performances, there will also be an opportunity to learn Bharatanatyam, a form of Indian classical dance, from the award-winning Punyah Dance Company.
Punyah Dance Company under the artistic leadership of one of the most sought-after classical Indian dancers, Parshwanath Upadhye, is coming to Northwest Arkansas March 17-20 to lead a pre-festival dance workshop for intermediate and advanced students of Bharatanatyam. The dance workshop is co-hosted by Ra-Ve Cultural Foundation.
Registration is $425 per person, and space is limited. Dancers can register at https://waltonartscenter.org/special-events/mosaix/.
Dance Workshop Registration includes:
- 12 hours of instruction at a studio in Bentonville the week of March 16
- Two tickets for the student and a guest to see the performance of Äbhä by Parshwanath Upadhye and Punyah Dance Company on April 21 at Walton Arts Center
- Two tickets for the student and a guest to FuseNWA on April 25 at Walton Arts Center
Punyah Dance Company is making their U.S. premiere with this tour, which was built around their performance at Walton Arts Center that kicks off Mosaix Festival on April 21.
Abha tells the ancient Hindu epic Ramayana – the story of legendary Lord Rama of ancient India on a quest to rescue Sita, the incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, whose choices would change the course of history.
Mosaix Festival Events
Mosaix Film Night in Collaboration with Fayetteville Film Festival
- Monday, April 20 | 7 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $15
Äbhä by Parshwanath Upadhye and Punyah Dance Company
- Tuesday, April 21 | 7 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $10
- Thursday, April 23 | 7 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $25-55
Arun Luthra’s Konnakol Jazz Project with Selvaganesh
- Friday, April 24 | 7:30 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $32-52
Raj Suresh: 4000 Days
- Friday, April 24 | 8 pm | The Great Hall at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
- Tickets are $20
- Saturday, April 25 | 10 am-4 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $10
- An all-day showcase of local arts and artists. This is an opportunity for the Northwest Arkansas community to learn more about Indian culture from our Desi neighbors through performances by local cultural organizations, hands-on workshops, food and a fashion show.
A Conversation with Hasan Minhaj
- Saturday, April 25 | 7 pm | Walton Arts Center
- Tickets are $69-95
The inaugural Mosaix Festival April 20-25 explores the sights and sounds of India. This project is supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit www.arts.gov. Visit waltonartscenter.org for more information about Mosaix Festival.