2020 Tony Award Nominations Announcement
- Check out the 2020 Tony Award Nominations Announcement, hosted by Tony Award winner James Monroe Iglehart, to find out who is nominated for the American Theatre Wing's 74th annual Tony Awards, presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing. WATCH HERE.
- For the full list of nominees and more information visit www.TonyAwards.com. For up-to-date information on the Tony Awards and more, follow @TheTonyAwards on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Performances from poet Dahlak
- Dahlak maximizes his abilities as musician, actor, poet, and educator within the transformational space of the theatre. Since launching into the national spoken word scene by winning the Brave New Voices international poetry slam (as now seen on HBO), Dahlak has been featured on media outlets such as Upworthy, 2DopeBoyz and Pitchfork. He has appeared on the Tavis Smiley Radio show, various NPR member stations, and the last two seasons of HBO’s Russell Simmons’ presents Def Poetry Jam. VIEW DAHLAK’S PERFORMANCES HERE.
Musicals and other content from the New York Theatre Barn
- New York Theatre Barn is a non-profit theatre company that serves as a home for new culture-shifting musicals during incubation, incubating original musicals that tell untold stories since 2007 that challenge audiences through provocative, innovative, and diverse storytelling in front of live audiences to discover what will enable a show to become a transformative theatre experience before it is fully produced. Find out more HERE AT THEIR WEBSITE at their website and see some of their work HERE ON THEIR YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
Performances from Manual Cinema
- Manual Cinema is celebrating their 10th Anniversary! Manual Cinema was part of WAC's 2017 Artosphere and Colgate Classroom Series with their performance of Lula Del Ray. As part of their anniversary celebration, two of their performances are available online: No Blue Memories: The Life of Gwendolyn Brooks is available through Aug. 17, and Frankenstein will be available August 17-25. LEARN MORE & WATCH HERE.
Reads for theater lovers
- Playbill.com has a list of new and upcoming books for any lover of the stage. LEARN MORE HERE.
Twenty weeks of FREE online programming from The Kennedy Center
- Over the next 20 weeks, Arts Across America will feature more than 200 diverse, visionary artists who play leadership roles in their communities, exemplify unique regional artistic styles, and are using their medium as a tool for advocacy and social justice. In collaboration with arts organizations from coast to coast, The Kennedy Center presents 20 weeks of free, online programming available on Facebook Live, YouTube, and www.kennedy-center.org, five days a week at 3pm (CST). LEARN MORE HERE.
Streaming performances from Transport Group Theater Company
- Transport Group presents streaming performances of their world-premiere musical from Fall 2019, BROADBEND, ARKANSAS. Starring Justin Cunningham and Danyel Fulton with a libretto by Ellen Fitzhugh and Harrison David Rivers and music and additional lyrics by Ted Shen, a Black family grapples with decades of inequality, violence, and suppression in the South. This unique musical, spanning nearly half a century and three generations, asks us to contemplate the cycle of violence in this country and how we will find hope and create change against the backdrop of hate that plagues America. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE OR TO REGISTER.
Premiere of the Freestyle Love Supreme documentary
- On Friday July 17, Hulu will premiere the We Are Freestyle Love Supreme documentary. The documentary feature, which is directed by Andrew Fried and premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, chronicles the fifteen-year journey of the hip-hop improv troupe founded by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Thomas Kail and Anthony Veneziale. Freestyle Love Supreme is scheduled to appear on Walton Arts Center's stage in June, 2021! Learn more about the documentary on FACEBOOK, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM.
Mirrorbox Theatre’s "Out the Box"
- "Out the Box" is a new reading series of fresh contemporary plays, streamed live and to a limited audience, presented by Mirrorbox Theatre. Only the first 100 people to register will get to watch each live (streamed) reading. The performances will not be broadcast on social media, or recorded for later viewing - you have to be there if you want to see something new! REGISTER HERE.
Broadway World streaming calendar
- This week, Broadway World announced their new streaming calendar - a comprehensive streaming schedule of classes, shows, etc. - it's a "one-stop shop for our audience to find what they can stream today"! CHECK IT OUT HERE.
WICKED says thank you to people on the front lines
- In honor of every person on the front lines, the community of WICKED the musical came together in song and in thanks. We share this tribute for all the people working on the front lines in Northwest Arkansas and across the country. Thank you all!! WATCH WICKED'S THANK YOU HERE.
Walton Arts Center Blog's favorite shows
- We have compiled a list of our favorite shows that have come (or will come) to Walton Arts Center that are available to stream online in the form of live recordings, musical movies and animated films. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE LIST.
The Shows Must Go On presents Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Experience a new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical every Friday for free on The Shows Must Go On YouTube channel. Each musical will be available weekly 1 p.m. CT for a 48-hour period online. WAC presented Webber’s School of Rock last season.
Sondheim Birthday Concert Event
- Legendary Broadway composer Stephen Sondheim was toasted with an all-star birthday concert which streamed live on Sunday, April 26, 2020. Hosted by Raúl Esparza, with musical direction by Mary-Mitchell Campbell, and coinciding with the 50th Broadway anniversary of Sondheim’s Company, Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration can be seen on HERE ON YOUTUBE.