Did you know?
Walton Arts Center Learning programs:
Served more than 50,000 people in 2015 - including more than 40,000 school children
Received the Arkansas Governor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Arts Education (2007)
Were recognized by the Dana Foundation in Acts of Achievement: The Role of Performing Arts Centers in Education (2003)
Provide classroom teachers and teaching artists exemplary professional development in arts integration in partnership with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington DC, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art and the Center for Children and Youth at University of Arkansas.
Please support our learning and engagement programs by making a tax deductible donation TODAY.
Walton Arts Center is now recruiting students for The Northwest Arkansas Jazz All-Stars.
A Youth Ensemble
Students accepted for The Northwest Arkansas Jazz All-Stars will receive training from top-notch and highly experienced faculty. Educational emphasis will be placed on the jazz style, improvisation, instrument technique, jazz combo and music theory.
Students will meet weekly for a 2 hour instructional rehearsal over a four month period, culminating in a concert performance at Walton Arts Center plus a professional recording session of their repertoire.
Program participation fee is $120, (financial assistance available).
Our goal is to give students an opportunity to take the techniques they learn in the rehearsals and apply them to concert performances, jam sessions and recordings. Pre-college student applicants will be selected by audition and invitation.
The Northwest Arkansas Jazz All-Stars offers its members the chance to be participate in a unique musical community of like-minded, passionate young musicians at a pivotal point in their personal development. .
- Eligibility Students must be in grades 9-12 and reside within the Northwest Arkansas region
At least 2 years experience on the instrument or comparable proficiency
- Instruments Saxophones (alto, tenor, bari), clarinet, trumpet, trombone, guitar, piano, bass, drums
- Auditions Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017 (2pm-5pm) & Monday, Jan. 23, 2017 (6pm-9pm)
- Rehearsals Sundays, 2pm-4:30pm at WAC from February – May, 2017 (12 total)
- Performance, etc. A performance in Starr Theater at Walton Arts Center (Date TBD) and a professional recording session of the ensemble’s repertoire
- Instructors University of Arkansas Music Professor Rick Salonen, Professional guitarist and Music Instructor Ben Harris, Members of the Fayetteville Jazz Collective and Walton Arts Center visiting artists in residence.
- Cost $120 (includes 12 rehearsals and concert at Walton Arts Center).
- Contact Robert Ginsburg, Walton Arts Center’s Jazz Curator: 479.571.2751 email@example.com
The Audition Process
Students entering the Jazz Studies Program will take part in a membership audition to demonstrate their playing ability, knowledge of Jazz music, music theory and sight reading abilities.
Click here to fill out an application for the Northwest Arkansas Jazz All-Stars. Must be submitted on or before January 17, 2017.
Click here for audition materials. (No fee for auditions.)