- At Walton Arts Center
495 W. Dickson St.
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Monday - Friday / 10am to 6pm
Saturday 12pm to 4pm
- One hour prior to showtime
- At Walmart AMP
5079 West Northgate Rd.
Rogers, AR 72758
CLOSED FOR THE SEASON!
- Phone: (479) 443.5600
- Fax: (479) 443.9024
Director of Production
Manage and lead all technical and production aspects of Walton Arts Center presentations, client events and in house productions. Walton Arts Center venues include a 1202-seat proscenium theater, a 231-seat variable configuration theater and a 200-seat multi-purpose space.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 7 years’ technical theater management experience; of which 4 years is specific within the performing arts or related industry (i.e. technical theater, venue management, or other related field). Comprehensive knowledge and practical experience required in audio, electrics, carpentry and wardrobe, in union and non-union houses. Well-rounded familiarity with all aspects of non-profit performing arts management (front of house operations, facility management, communications, fundraising, box office, etc.)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Ensure success in all aspects of Technical Services including, but not limited to:
- Lead and develop the technical team including those personnel who hire, train and schedule full-time and local crew.
- Monitor and oversee all production hiring, compensation, work rules and practices.
- Formulate and control expense and project budgets including reporting actual expenditures for all events, productions and department administrative expenses.
- Ensure that production design is a focus for all events.
- Oversee all aspects of touring and local productions, including scenery, staging, sound, lighting, wardrobe, media equipment, rigging and general theater safety
- Recommend and prioritize annual capital equipment purchases and repair and maintenance work for theatre facilities
- Analyze and negotiate technical requirements for touring companies
- Provide technical design and execution advice for rental clients and in-house productions
- Communicate effectively as a team-player across the organization with the ability to be a strong team-leader
General Management / Leadership
- Serve as a member of the Organization’s management team implementing policy and supporting the vision and mission of the organization.
- Develop appropriate relationships within industry and community.
- Oversee department operational goals and monitor performance to those goals.
- Oversee and lead production team for all technical aspects of internally produced events and fundraisers
- Work with “Resident” companies to ensure safe practices, enhance their production capabilities, confer, advise and share production personnel and equipment as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Programming to recommend and contract appropriate talent for select events, assist with creative visioning for events relaying production capabilities.
- Serve as artistic, logistical and technical advisor for Walton Arts Center’s creation, production and touring of educational productions.
- Evaluate logistics and technical requirements of potential events relative to Walton Arts Center’s capacity.
- Communicate technical requirements of events to Technical staff.
- Collect, verify and provide appropriate technical expenses for events and prepare settlement documents for touring companies and clients.
- Ensure routine maintenance of equipment and production areas of the facility
- Suggest, guide and advise on establishing and maintaining appropriate relationships with visiting touring companies
- Ensure production staff provide timely communications to changing needs of touring shows/artists and clients.
- Stay current with industry standards and needs.
- Evaluates viability of locations for offsite events.
- Ensure implementation of a comprehensive stage safety program.
- Oversee all aspects of stage safety including, but not limited to, open flames, pyrotechnics, air quality (i.e. smoke and fog), rigging, and temporary high voltage electrical hook-ups.
- Ensure necessary fire/building/electrical code compliance in all stage areas.
- Provide necessary training to stage personnel to ensure a safe working environment.
- Serve as permanent member on organization’s Safety Committee, rotating in as chair of the committee every few years.
- Work with Events Department to determine time and space requirements of Walton Arts Center venues, providing technical expertise as needed.
- Oversee Technical staff’s evaluation of client events
- Supervise design process across all technical departments.
- Work with other Walton Arts Center departments to provide needed technical services.
- Provide billable technical expenses for client events in a timely manner.
- Lead departmental meetings with staff to ensure open dialog and exchange of information.
- Maintain and improve the current set of guidelines to measure technical skills, and work with HR Officer to ensure the pay rate schedule for overhires based on those skills is competitive.
- Continually improve a plan for recruiting and retaining a large pool of overhires.
- Supervise scheduled performance reviews of all technical personnel.
- As part of Walton Arts Center leadership, serve as mentor to less experienced members of the Production Department and other departments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools, Outlook and CAD programs; experience with venue management and event setup diagram software is preferable.
- Trained or trainable in CPR/AED/First Aid and Crowd Management.
- Comfortable working a flexible schedule that is dependent on scheduled events, regularly works 50+ hours/week.
- A leader who is calm under pressure, well versed in conflict management and de-escalation skills.
- Adapts well to changing priorities, deadlines and directions and who remains flexible to the industry demands.
- Proactive; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance, weighs alternatives against objectives and arrives at reasonable decisions.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (verbal, written, and active listening skills are all critical).
- Any and all other tasks assigned by management for which the employee is qualified and physically able to perform with or without reasonable accommodations.
This position is full-time salaried and includes a benefits package comprised of health, dental, long term disability and life funded largely by WAC; 403b with a match by WAC at 1 year of service; as well as paid vacation, sick time, personal time and holidays.
As Walton Arts Center is a growing, dynamic organization, flexibility in job assignments is essential. This job description, therefore, is subject to change.
Please email your resume, cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk soon.
Walton Arts Center brings great performing artists and entertainers from around the world to Northwest Arkansas, connecting and engaging people through inspiring arts experiences.
Walton Arts Center is a presenting facility located in the heart of Northwest Arkansas with venues that include a 1201-seat auditorium with proscenium stage, a 200-seat variable stage black box theater, a 7000-seat outdoor amphitheater featuring popular contemporary concert artists and a 200-seat multi-purpose space.
Please NO phone calls.